Sunday, February 2, 2014

Bonking

After working on several iterations of posts to carry on the discussion of periodization and it's essential components, the explanations became too extensive for a single post so I will split those into several posts over the next few weeks.

In the interim however, I wanted to discuss a brief issue I encountered yesterday. I made a terrible mistake that jeopardized my training session and unfortunately meant I decreased my value of training by a significant margin. How significant is difficult to quantify, but on future rides I hope to extract at least a slightly significant estimate of lost potential.

My mistake yesterday: underestimating the need for fuel. My training consisted of an extended distance ride, my training goal being 100km in 'x' amount of time. Since I had not previously completed the course I was riding, the time and subsequent velocity were unknown and therefore not terribly valuable metrics.

http://www.strava.com/activities/110479030

During endurance activities of durations greater than 90 minutes (or relative time, based on session intensities) the body will have exhausted it's available glycogen stores in the liver and muscle tissue. Glycogen is the storage form of glucose in the body and it's levels are constantly fluctuating based on the energy needs in the body. Since at any particular, instantaneous moment, various glycogen stores may be in an anabolic or catabolic state, it is the net loss or gain of these stores that we concern ourselves with.

It is true that trained athletes can increase their ability to store glycogen, allowing them to work at a given intensity for a longer period without exhausting their energy stores. Additionally, aerobically trained athletes are able to utilize fat stores at a given oxygen uptake more efficiently to stave off glycogen usage. Even so, the exhaustion of these glycogen stores is still a significant issue for all athletes, trained or not, if sufficient intensity or duration of activity is completed.
http://www.pattersonfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/insulin-and-glucagon.jpg

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/fat-burning-using-body-fat-instead-of-carbohydrates-as-fuel-40844
As a rookie mistake, I did not take any fuel with me on my ride. As such, at approximately the 3 hour mark, I felt my body hitting the wall, also known as "bonking." I had depleted my energy reserves and was relying on the oxidation of fat stores for energy and the production of ketones to keep my central nervous system functioning. Due to this, my heart rate monitor became incredibly valuable. Knowing my various thresholds, I was able to keep my HR low enough to keep me in an aerobic state to maximize my ability to utilize as much fat as possible, whilst still keeping my power output high enough to get me through the last 10 miles and get me home quickly where I had water and sugar waiting for me.

Lesson for the day: regardless of how long you 'think' you will be out riding, running or training, take some glucose replacements with you. Whether this is a sports drink, gel or a banana, you will be able to keep the intensity of your session at the desired level and get more out of your sessions. Then call me and thank me for making the mistake for you. You're welcome.


Please enter your email address to subscribe!



No comments:

Post a Comment